Easter dangers for pets

Easter dangers for pets

Easter dangers for pets are available nationwide and they included things like easter eggs, hot cross buns, cakes and spring flowers. Whilst these are Easter treats for us, they are easter dangers for pets and can be deadly. Knowing what is dangerous for your pet, and what to do if the worst happens is important. We have made a blog of the most common dangers but we would also recommend that you have a look at the Veterinary Poisons Information Service which has great advice on what to do!

Easter dangers for pets

  • Chocolate
  • Raisins / Sultanas
  • Certain bulbs and plants
  • Decorations

Can pets eat easter eggs?

Chocolate contains a compound called theobromine which can be deadly to cats and dogs. This is because unlike us, they can’t metabolise theobromine effectively. Different types of chocolate have varying levels of theobromine, with dark chocolate containing more than milk chocolate. Chocolate is high on the list of easter dangers for pets.

The most common symptoms of chocolate poisoning include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Lethargy
  • Urinating more
  • An irregular heartbeat
  • Tremors
  • Fitting/seizures

A large dose of chocolate can even induce a coma or death. Symptoms can occur within a few hours to up to a day after ingestion. It is best to call your vet as your vet will give you much more accurate information than online. You’ll be asked what type of chocolate firstly as the type of chocolate does impact the levels of theobromine. We will assess how much chocolate has been eaten, what type of chocolate and the size of your dog. Small quantities with no symptoms doesn’t always need veterinary help but always speak to your vet first!

If you suspect your pet has ingested large quantities of chocolate, contact your vet immediately. 

Hot cross buns and dogs

Other Easter treats should also be kept out of your pet’s reach, including hot cross buns. These fruity buns contain ingredients such as sultanas, raisins, dried fruit, lemon zest and nutmeg, which are all toxic to animals. Easter sweets containing artificial sweeteners such as Xylitol can also be dangerous for pets if ingested and should be kept away from animals. Whilst less toxic for cats we wouldn’t recommend letting cats eat hot cross buns! Raisins is not as high on most lists of easter dangers for pets but they should be as the effects can often be a lot more severe.

Easter decorations

Easter decorations can also be hazardous for pets, such as the fake grass and little fluffy chicks that come in Easter baskets. If your pet swallows these, they can get stuck at the back of their throats, or in their stomachs and will not be able to pass through the intestines.

Spring bulbs dogs and cats

Outdoor flowers are one thing, but as many people like to decorate their home with fresh flowers in spring, you should also be mindful of spring bouquets. For example, all parts of Easter lilies are highly toxic to cats, including the petals, leaves, stem and pollen. Ingesting even a small part of this plant can cause severe kidney failure. Before you buy flowers, check that they pose no risk to pets and advise guests to do the same before visiting your house.

Species of poisonous plants that are common during the springtime include:

  • Lilies
  • Daffodils
  • Azaleas
  • Amaryllis
  • Tulips

What should I do if I think my dog has been poisoned?

If you think your dog has been poisoned by something, you need to act quickly. Speak to your vet straight away.

Common signs of poisoning in dogs include:

  • vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • hyperactivity or restlessness
  • tremors
  • seizures (or fits)

It’s helpful for vets if you keep any packaging and write down the details of anything you think your dog has ingested, eg when they ate or drank it, how much they have swallowed, and what symptoms they are experiencing.

If you do happen to notice any signs of poisoning – such as vomiting, drooling, diarrhoea, disorientation or even collapsing – then contact us immediately.