Valentines day pet dangers

Valentine’s Day is just around the corner! We would recommend that you take a few precautions to keep your pet safe over the next few weeks.

Chocolate may be a great gift for your partner, but they are definitely not safe for your pet. Chocolate is very toxic to our furry pals. This is because it contains a substance called theobromine, which pets can’t metabolize.

Those brightly coloured sweets with the cute sayings are a classic Valentine’s Day gift. However, keep that sweet bowl somewhere your pet can’t get to. Many of these sweet treats contain xylitol, which is toxic to our furry pals. Hard sweets and sweet wrappers also pose choking risks for playful pets.

While cards may not be the biggest thing to worry about, the ones that play music or light up contain small batteries. Needless to say, that isn’t something you want your four-legged buddy eating. These should be kept away from pets that like to chew.

A pretty bouquet can brighten up any room, but be careful. Some flowers are highly toxic to pets! Lilies, tulips, daffodils, and oleanders are a few examples.

Pets and fire are never a safe mix. If you burn candles, keep them in high, secure places your animal companion can’t reach.

Red wine is a traditional part of many romantic Valentine’s Day dinners. However, even a small amount of alcohol can be dangerous to your furry pal. Don’t leave your wine glass somewhere your pet could get into it.

Plushy Toys
These are more of an issue for dogs than cats. The issue here is that many dogs remove the stuffing and squeaker, which can both be very dangerous if ingested. Your canine pal could also choke on small parts, like button eyes. Keep that cute plushy away from your pup!


If you have any concerns or think your pet may have made a valentines oopsy, then call us immediately.