Orchard House Veterinary Centre

12 Day(ngers) of Christmas – Day 11


On the 11th day of Christmas, my owner accidentally gave to me … 

Other hazards

Silica gel

Silica gel comes in small sachets and is often found in the packaging of new shoes, handbags, cameras or electrical equipment which we unwrap over Christmas. Although it is labelled “Do not Eat” it is considered to be of low toxicity.


Although candles, even scented ones, are considered to be of low toxicity, ingestion could potentially block the intestine or cause choking.


When eaten, potpourri can cause significant gastrointestinal effects in dogs. These may last several days even after the material has passed through the gut.


Nicotine is toxic to dogs, and cigarette butts are especially dangerous – so it’s important not to leave any ashtrays in reach of dogs over Christmas, or dropped on the floor where they may eat them. Nicotine replacement patches and e-cigarette refills can also pose a risk. Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, excess saliva and hypertension.



On the 11th day of Christmas, my owner accidentally gave to me … 


Ingestion of batteries is common at this time of year.  If the battery is chewed and pierced it can cause chemical burns and heavy metal poisoning. If swallowed whole it can also lead to an obstruction.

All batteries are potentially toxic so if you suspect your cat has chewed or swallowed one speak to your vet



On the 11th day of Christmas, my owner accidentally gave to me … 

Chocolate and sweets

It’s important to keep chocolate out of reach of your rabbit. If your rabbit only eats a small piece then you could be lucky and no harm may come of it. But if your rabbit eats a large amount of chocolate, then this could be quite serious and result in an emergency visit to the vets. Sugary sweets are also bad for rabbits and if left out may cause harm, alongside this if the wrappers are eaten they can cause issues.