Orchard House Veterinary Centre

12 Day(ngers) of Christmas – Day 8


On the 8th day of Christmas, my owner accidentally gave to me … 

Christmas plants


Although toxicity of the poinsettia has often been exaggerated, it can cause irritation to the mouth and stomach with overproduction of saliva and sometimes vomiting.

A range of plants can present a danger to dogs


The plant is considered to be of low toxicity, but ingestion of holly berries may result in a stomach upset.


Ingestion of European mistletoe berries may result in an upset stomach. The American species of the plant is far more dangerous.


The ivy that tends to be used in wreaths and decorations is Hedera helix (not Toxicodendron radicans, the American poison ivy). But the Hedera species can still cause a tummy upset when ingested. Where there is significant or prolonged skin contact, Hedera species can also cause both irritant and allergic contact dermatitis.



On the 8th day of Christmas, my owner accidentally gave to me… 


The ingredients of some human foods are toxic. Onions and garlic can sometimes be poisonous, whether cooked or raw – so don’t let your cat lick up gravy. Raisins, grapes and chocolate also pose a threat. Avoid feeding these at all, even in small quantities. Alcohol can be dangerous in small quantities so wipe up any spillages promptly.



On the 8th day of Christmas, my owner accidentally gave to me… 

Extra family in the home

A big changes at Christmas can be people visiting your home who may not be used to house rabbits. It may be best to ask guests to take their shoes off as they may not be used to how rabbits tend to get under food and can easily be stepped on. If you have children staying, encourage them not to race around where your rabbit can roam. Uninitiated guests may not be used to how good rabbits are at chewing things so it’s important to give them somewhere to leave shoes, coats or handbags where they can’t be got at. Be careful to keep an eye on laptop or phone charger leads that may appear.