12 Day(ngers) of Christmas – Day 10

Dog

On the 10th day of Christmas, my owner accidentally gave to me … 

Christmas decorations

Decorations made of plastic, paper or foil are of low toxicity although may obstruct the stomach. Glass decorations could pose a risk if chewed or swallowed.

Wrapping or crepe paper

Ingestion may cause staining in the mouth which may look alarming, but the toxicity is considered to be low. But if your dog eats a large amount, it may cause an obstruction to the stomach.

 

Cat

On the 10th day of Christmas, my owner accidentally gave to me … 

Paracetamol

Cats are extremely sensitive to paracetamol toxicity. The feline toxic dose is 50 to 100 mg/kg. One regular strength tablet may be toxic to a cat, and a second ingested 24 hours later may be lethal. The signs of toxicity are brown gums, difficulty breathing, blood in the urine, jaundice and swelling.

 

Rabbit

On the 10th day of Christmas, my owner accidentally gave to me … 

Hypothermia

Hypothermia is a risk for rabbits in winter. It occurs when the body temperature falls below normal (38.5-40°C). This can be even more dangerous than a fever. Rabbits suffering from hypothermia will become lethargic and their extremities, such as their ears and paws, will look pale and feel cool to the touch.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply